The year 2020 will never be forgotten. Nearly every company in every industry was thrown into turmoil. Those same companies now are looking ahead, setting goals and formulating plans for success.
The first few months of a new year brings new planning sessions for leadership, and new opportunities to change things that aren’t working. It’s important for organizations to begin the year on the right foot, making sure every employee is working together to achieve the company’s shared goals.
Whether your strategic plan for 2021 is complete or still in progress, have you considered the needs of your employees? In addition to being informed about your organization’s goals and key performance indicators, your employees need the right tools, training, and technology to help you execute your strategic plan and achieve the goals you set for the year.
How do you know what your employees need?
Before you can give your employees the tools they need to succeed, you have to know what those tools are. The best way to learn is to ask your employees directly, through a survey or direct communications. There are a variety of areas you should make sure to ask your employees about—here are some common themes from our engagement surveys, but there are many more possibilities depending on your company and your goals.
This is a broad category, but essentially includes the resources (human and otherwise) an employee may need to refer to when completing their jobs. You may be able to uncover, for example, that an employee is spending too much time on a workaround because they don’t have adequate information to complete a job more efficiently.
- Do you have the information you need to do your job?
- Do you have the proper materials/documentation to do your job?
- Do you have the resources you need to succeed?
Training is a huge expense for any organization, and they can’t afford to overlook how employee onboarding and other training affects employee and company success down the road. Companies should use an employee survey to make sure they have their employees training needs—internal and external—covered.
- Did your onboarding experience seem adequate? What training could you use refreshed?
- What type of training are you interested in receiving from us or a third party?
- What method of training (e-learning, direct facilitation, a blend) works best for you?
Most companies are entering 2021 with more remote workers than they’ve had before. Although some of the challenges of remote work—e.g., bandwidth, internet access issues—may have been solved last year, there are other issues to consider to help your remote workforce stay productive and engaged.
- Do you have adequate collaboration tools for meeting with coworkers?
- Are you able to access the resources you need to do your job when you are working remotely?
- Do you have the technical support you need when issues arise?
Questions about Company Strategy
Once you ensure your employees have the tools, technology, and training they need, you should make sure they fully understand your company’s goals. This includes stated goals and key performance indicators, along with department- or team-specific goals that will cascade down as a result of organizational goals. As well, each employee should be able to see their own role in helping the company succeed.
- Do you understand our company strategy?
- Do you understand the why behind our company goals?
- Do you know your specific role in achieving our goals?
Get your employees on board by meeting their needs
Now that it’s time to execute your strategic plans for 2021, you can use these tips and questions to help make sure your employees will be on board with you. Do you need help formulating your strategic plan or surveying your employees? We have in-depth experience with both; reach out to see how we can help you meet your goals.