The Ohio Incumbent Workforce Training Voucher Program is back for 2019, but notable eligibility changes have been made to the program.
The program is designed to reimburse up to 33% of eligible training costs – up to $2,000 per employee and $25,000 per employer – for employee training taking place between January 1, 2019 and December 31, 2019. Companies that received assistance in fiscal year 2017 who used 33% or less of their award amount will not be eligible for assistance in 2019. Moreover, companies that received assistance in 2018 will not be eligible for money in 2019.
Eligible businesses include:
- Advance manufacturing
- Aerospace and aviation
- Automotive (Automotive Technicians)
- Automotive (Manufacturing)
- Corporate headquarters (only corporate headquarters staff)
- Financial services
- Food processing
- Information technology and services
- Polymers and chemicals
- Research and development
Additionally, employers must have employees who are eligible. Employee eligibility includes the following factors:
- Employed in production, back office operations, information technology, logistics, research and development or as an automotive technician
- Earning an hourly wage of at least 150% of the federal minimum wage plus benefits
- Be an Ohio resident at least 18 years old
- Working at least 25 hours per week and
- Directly employed by the applicant for 6 months or longer in a facility located in Ohio
Eligible training includes:
- Training for improved efficiency (e.g., ISO-9000, Six Sigma or Lean Manufacturing)
- Training from a national, regional or state trade association that offers an independently certified training curriculum and testing
- Training that leads to an industry recognized certificate/credential
- Training to maintain an industry recognized credential and
- Training provided in conjunction with the purchase of a new piece of equipment
Application Process and Acceptance Date
The 2019 program will only accept one application per applicant each year. This means that if an employer has multiple sites of affiliated entities, those sites and affiliated entities must work together and submit one application.
The online application process began on September 24th, 2018 and eligible businesses will have three weeks to gather necessary information to complete their application. Online applications are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis until funds have been exhausted and can be submitted on October 11, 2018 between 10:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Funding is expected to go quickly and a business should act fast to be able to take advantage of this opportunity.
How CSH Can Help
We have a great deal of experience with this program and have helped a number of clients obtain significant training grants in the past. CSH advisors can help you assemble the required information now so that you’ll be ready to claim the maximum amount of training monies possible, and can also assist when requesting reimbursement for your training expenses.