The Ohio Incumbent Workforce Training Voucher Program is back for 2018, but notable eligibility changes have been made to the program.
The program is designed to reimburse up to 33% of eligible training costs – up to $4,000 per employee and $25,000 per employer – for employee training taking place between January 1, 2018 and December 31, 2018. Companies that received assistance in fiscal year 2016 who utilized 33% or less of their award amount will not be eligible for assistance in 2018.
Eligible businesses include:
- Advanced Manufacturing
- Aerospace and Aviation
- Automotive (Automotive Technicians)
- Automotive (Manufacturing)
- Corporate Headquarters (only corporate headquarters staff)
- Financial Services
- Food Processing
- Information Technology and Services
- Polymers and Chemicals
- Research and Development
*Back Office is no longer an eligible business
Eligible training includes:
- Training for improved process efficiency (e.g., ISO-9000, Six Sigma or Lean Manufacturing)
- Training from a national, regional or state trade association that offers an independently certified training curriculum and testing
- Training that leads to an industry recognized certificate/credential
- Training to maintain an industry recognized credential
The types of eligible training that qualify for reimbursement for the year 2018 of this program have been significantly narrowed. A number of training programs that were eligible in previous years are no longer eligible. Ineligible training includes:
- HR Certification
- ICD – 10
- Microsoft Office courses (including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, One Note, Access, and Publisher)
- Safety Training (either mandated or regulatory safety training)
- Seminars/Workshops/Webinars (previously eligible if there was a test or exam tied to the training)
Application Process and Acceptance Date
The 2018 program will only accept one application per Applicant each year. This means that if an employer has multiple sites of Affiliated Entities, those sites and Affiliated Entities must work together and submit one application.
The online application process begins on September 25, 2017 and eligible businesses will have three weeks to gather necessary information to complete their application. Online applications are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis until funds have been exhausted and can be submitted on October 12, 2017 between 10:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Funding is expected to go quickly and a business should act fast to be able to take advantage of this opportunity.
How CSH Can Help
We have a great deal of experience with this program and have helped a number of clients obtain significant training grants in the past. CSH advisors can help you assemble the required information now so that you’ll be ready to claim the maximum amount of training monies possible, and can also assist when requesting reimbursement for your training expenses.